Student Volunteers at Watkins Health Services
Student Health Advisory Board
The Student Health Advisory Board (SHAB) functions as a voice for the student body to monitor, advise and submit recommendations to Watkins Health Services in the creation of an annual budget, program design and areas of operation that involve public health policy and relations.
- Volunteering at flu vaccine clinics, blood drives and wellness fairs
- Fee review process - presentation to Student Senate
- Collection of satisfaction surveys that provide student body with a chance to voice their comments.
- Participation on selected WHS committees/projects
How to learn more about SHAB
Contact Watkins Health Services.
Peer Health Educators (PHEs)
What is the KU Peer Health Educators Organization?
Peer Health Educators (PHEs) is a volunteer organization that provides peer-to-peer health education, under the direction of the Health Education Resource Office (HERO), primarily within six priority areas:
- Other drugs
- Sexual health and healthy relationships
- Nutrition and weight management
- Stress management
What would I do as a PHE volunteer?
- Participate in wellness events - wellness fairs, smoke outs, safer spring break, etc.
- Promote HERO programs
- Present to peers - classroom, Housing, Greek Life
- Program development
Why become a PHE volunteer?
- Get involved on campus
- Meet new people
- Gain knowledge within health and wellness
- Develop experience in public speaking
- Build a resume
- Acquire health-related volunteer hours for graduate programs
- Have fun while volunteering
How can I become a PHE volunteer?
Watkins Health Navigators
Through KU’s Center for Community Outreach, Hawks for Health places student volunteers at Watkins Health Center. Volunteers serve as Health Navigators at the main lobby Information Desk to greet visitors, provide general information on the health center, give directions to various departments and help answer or re-direct questions.
Being a Watkins Health Navigator requires students to submit an application for consideration. The Hawks for Health Coordinators control when the application process is open.
Contact Hawks for Health for more information.