Please Note Changes to Health Center Operations
If you have any Coronavirus related concerns or any of the following symptoms, please stay home and call the KU COVID Call Center at 785-864-9000: fever/chills, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue, muscle/body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea. The call center staff will help you make an appointment for COVID-19 testing.
Most of our online appointment booking is temporarily suspended. Please call 785-864-9507 during office hours to make an appointment. Telehealth and in person visits are available with medical providers. (Flu shots, womens health, mens health and gender affirming care appointments are still available to book online at this time.)
If you need to walk-in, please call 785-864-9507 prior to arrival so that initial guidance can be provided by phone for how we can get you seen by a provider. We are screening all patients for COVID-19 prior to entry, promoting social distancing in our building, and requiring face masks in order to keep our patients and staff healthy and safe. You may be asked to wait in your car or return later for a scheduled appointment time if you arrive without an appointment.
In many cases, for the safety of our patients and staff, rather than have you visit the clinic in person, we will utilize telehealth as much as possible. For telehealth visits we use Zoom. The following are examples of appropriate situations for telehealth:
- Upper respiratory symptoms, allergies, or COVID-19 symptoms/questions
- Urinary or sexual health concerns
- Follow-up visits for established patients (medication refills, mental health/behavioral health follow-up, other follow-up visits instructed by your medical provider)
Last updated September 17, 2020
Mask Required to Enter
When coming to Watkins, you must wear a mask at all times. Help conserve our supply by wearing your own cloth face covering. If you do not have one, a mask will be provided when you enter the building. Please be mindful of social distancing guidelines for your safety and the safety of our staff.
Last updated May 22, 2020
Virtual Appointments Available
To better assist KU students during the COVID-19 pandemic, Watkins is offering virtual appointments. Using Zoom video-conferencing technology, students can connect to one of our board-certified medical providers via the Zoom app. This quick and easy solution allows for live consultations over a computer, tablet or phone.
Zoom appointments keep both patients and healthcare staff safe without the risk of face to face contact. Another benefit is continued care for students who may be away from Lawrence.
There is no charge for Zoom appointments for students who have paid the health fee as part of their required campus fees. Students who have paid a partial health fee will be charged the remainder of the health fee in order to use Zoom or in-person appointments at no additional cost..
How It Works
- Request a Zoom appointment.
Call our appointment line at 785-864-9507 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday or 12 pm and 4 pm Saturday to request a Zoom appointment.
- Receive Zoom appointment confirmation.
A member of our Registration staff will email you instructions and a link for your appointment. You will need to install the Zoom app on your computer or mobile device ahead of time.
- Attend Zoom appointment.
Follow the instructions provided to attend your Zoom appointment on the scheduled date and time.
Last updated August 25, 2020
Important Information about Appointments
Students are strongly encouraged to make appointments to be seen by a Watkins Health Services medical provider. Same day and walk-in appointments are also available.
Advantages of making an appointment include:
- Reducing your wait time.
- Seeing the provider of your choice.
- Scheduling a visit at a time that is convenient for you.
- Seeing the same provider you have seen before for a problem (continuity of care).
NOTICE: Concealed handguns are prohibited during treatment or medical procedures.
Eligibility information is detailed on our About page.
How to Make an Appointment
WHS offers 3 options for seeing a medical provider:
- Make an appointment online through the myWHS patient portal.
- Call 785-864-9507 to schedule an appointment.
- Walk-in without an appointment for conditions that need to be treated as soon as possible. Check in at the reception desk in the main lobby. You will be seen as soon as possible, but wait time can vary. Patients with scheduled appointments may be seen before you, even if you have been waiting longer. (Remember, when you make an appointment in advance, your wait time at WHS will be reduced.)
When setting your appointment, have your class schedule available as well as your KU ID number. It is important to be specific about your needs so that you can be scheduled with the appropriate health care provider for the necessary amount of time. Please check in at the Registration Desk at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
What to Expect
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to accommodate for parking and to complete the registration process at one of our kiosks. Patients arriving five minutes past their appointment time may be rescheduled to another time/day or considered to be a walk-in.
- When checking in, you will be asked for your KU Identification Card and current insurance card. Health insurance is not required, but a KU ID is.
- Once the check-in process is completed, you will be directed to the waiting area and the medical provider will be notified of your arrival.
- Proceed to the Registration desk to speak with a WHS staff member.
- Have your KU Identification Card, photo ID and insurance information.
- Once checked-in, you will be directed to wait to speak with a registered nurse who in turn will direct your care to an apropriate available provider.
During your appointment, any discussion you have with your provider can be valuable to you in terms of both health and learning. As health professionals we are a resource to provide care, not only for your health issues, but to also promote wellness. To benefit most from your talks with our medical providers, take an active part in the exchange. Ask questions. Write them down beforehand if you wish. Don't feel rushed. If you do not feel that your questions are being answered, say so and restate your specific needs. Many people feel anxious about seeing a doctor and find it difficult to discuss their health concerns openly. If this happens to you, preface your talk with your practitioner by explaining how you feel. The professional yet relaxed atmosphere at Watkins Health Services is intended to be a positive experience for you.
Please cancel through the myWHS patient portal, text firstname.lastname@example.org (include KU ID number, appointment date and time) or call the WHS appointment line at 785-864-9507 if you are unable to keep your appointment, so that the appointment slot can be utilized by another student. There is a charge for appointments not canceled at least two (2) hours in advance. If you need to cancel an early morning appointment, you must call the evening before to avoid the cancellation fee. You may leave a message on the WHS voicemail system, which is activated after normal business hours. Please leave your name, KU ID number, appointment date and time.