If you have a medical emergency, call 911 or go to LMH Health emergency room.
Masks are no longer required when coming to Watkins, though they are available for guest use.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19 or other respiratory infections, including sore throat, please wear a mask while in the building.
If you would like for a staff member to wear a mask, please ask and we will gladly do so.
Important Information about Appointments
Students are strongly encouraged to make appointments to be seen by a Watkins Health Services medical provider. Same-day and walk-in appointments are also available.
Advantages of making an appointment include:
- Reducing your wait time.
- Seeing the provider of your choice.
- Scheduling a visit at a time that is convenient for you.
- Seeing the same provider you have seen before for a problem (continuity of care).
How to Make an Appointment
WHS offers 3 options for seeing a medical provider in person:
- Make an appointment online through your patient portal.
- Call 785-864-9507 to schedule an appointment.
- Walk-in without an appointment for conditions that need to be treated as soon as possible. Check-in at the Registration desk in the main lobby. You will be seen as soon as possible, but wait time can vary. Patients with scheduled appointments may be seen before you, even if you have been waiting longer.
When setting your appointment, have your class schedule available as well as your KU ID number. It is important to be specific about your needs so that you can be scheduled with the appropriate healthcare provider for the necessary amount of time.
Virtual appointments are also available.
Planning for your Appointment
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to accommodate for parking and to complete the registration process at one of our kiosks. Patients arriving five minutes past their appointment time may be rescheduled to another time/day or considered to be a walk-in.
- When checking in, you will be asked for your KU Identification Card and current insurance card. Health insurance is not required, but a KU ID is.
- Once the check-in process is completed, you will be directed to the waiting area and the medical provider will be notified of your arrival.
- Proceed to the Registration desk to speak with a WHS staff member.
- Have your KU Identification Card, photo ID and insurance information.
- Walk-ins will be seen on a first come first serve basis following a brief screening of symptoms.
During your appointment, any discussion you have with your provider can be valuable to you in terms of both health and learning. As health professionals, we are a resource to provide care, not only for your health issues but to also promote wellness. To benefit most from your talks with our medical providers, take an active part in the exchange. Ask questions. Write them down beforehand if you wish. Don't feel rushed. If you do not feel that your questions are being answered, say so and restate your specific needs. Many people feel anxious about seeing a doctor and find it difficult to discuss their health concerns openly. If this happens to you, preface your talk with your practitioner by explaining how you feel. The professional yet relaxed atmosphere at Watkins Health Services is intended to be a positive experience for you.
Canceled & Missed Appointments
Please cancel through your patient portal, text email@example.com (include KU ID number, appointment date and time) or call the WHS appointment line at 785-864-9507 if you are unable to keep your appointment so that the appointment slot can be utilized by another student.
There is a $25.00 charge for appointments not canceled at least two (2) hours in advance. If you need to cancel an early morning appointment, you must call the evening before to avoid the cancellation fee. You may leave a message on the WHS voicemail system, which is activated after normal business hours. Please leave your name, KU ID number, appointment date and time.
In Case of Inclement Weather
If the university issues an alert that campus is closed due to inclement weather, Watkins Health Services typically remains open for business, but with reduced staffing and services. Students with scheduled appointments should call our appointment line at 785-864-9507 to inquire, cancel or reschedule. Alternatively, certain types of appointments can be rescheduled through your patient portal.