Gender Affirming Care
Becoming a Patient
At Watkins Health Services, we know that gender identity is a spectrum and that not everyone’s path is the same. Your first appointment on this path is a consultative appointment where your provider will focus on getting to know you and assessing your personal goals for your journey.
Types of Appointments
- This appointment accomplishes medical clearance for initiating hormone therapy and addresses any health-related questions or concerns. You may choose to establish a relationship with a mental health clinician through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) or another therapist of your choice as part of your individualized gender affirming care plan.
- In order for the provider to give you best care possible within this appointment time, please try to have any records related to your current hormone therapy faxed to WHS or bring a copy of these records with you to your appointment.
Nurse Visit – A 10-minute or 20-minute appointment with a nurse, in which the nurse can administer hormone injections or teach you how to self-administer hormone injections safely.
How to Schedule and Prepare for an Appointment
Appointments may be scheduled:
- Online by logging into the Patient Portal
- By calling the Appointment Line at 785-864-9507
- By calling the Nurse Helpline during normal business hours at 785-864-9583
Check-in kiosks make checking in for your appointment quick and convenient. Just be sure that your insurance information is updated, if applicable!
By updating your Preferred Name through the Enroll & Pay system, that preferred name will populate into your medical record at Watkins Health Services. This will allow WHS staff the ability to refer to you in the manner you choose, rather than by your legal name. For instructions regarding how to update this please use this link.
Pronouns may also be specified in advance of your appointment at WHS. You may enter these via the Patient Portal, which will then populate into your medical record at WHS.
Every student at KU pays a health fee each semester as part of the mandatory campus fees. The health fee entitles the student to be seen by our providers at no charge for the office visit. There would be a charge for any services performed. We will bill any insurance company other than Medicare or Medicaid plans. You will be responsible for any non-covered charges. If you have questions about charges for specific services, please call our Business Office at 785-864-9520.
Complete Care for You
- How to Give a Subcutaneous Shot (PDF)
- Let’s Talk Estrogen (PDF)
- Let’s Talk Testosterone (PDF)
- Transgender Resources (PDF)
- Center for Sexuality & Gender Diversity
- Resources for KU Students
- TRANS @ KU
- Fertility Preservation - clicking this link connects you to an outside facility that provides up-to-date information on fertility preservation.
Health Educator Support
Still have questions? Are you questioning? Scared? Unsure? All of the above? Talking things through with a health educator may be just what you need. Jenny McKee, she/her/hers, is an excellent resource in the Health Education Resource Office of Watkins Health Services. Request a virtual meeting with Jenny, free of cost.