Students have the option to exclude specific services or charges from being filed to insurance or mailed to their billing address on file. This is called Private Billing, which means your services provided are completely confidential. In order to ensure Private Billing, services must be paid the same day you receive the services. Be sure to let your provider, the lab and/or the pharmacy know that you would like Private Billing when you receive services or products. The Business Office mails billing statements to the billing address provided by the student. Billing statements are also emailed directly to the student's email address. If you do not pay for the service the same day you receive it, there is a chance that a bill will be mailed to your billing address.
Please be aware that any payments made to WHS may not be processed until the following business day. Financial Holds (“NPY”) may take more than 24 hours to be removed from your KU account. For immediate hold removal, please contact Student Account Services directly at 785-864-3322. For your convenience, we offer a wide variety of payment options:
- Log into your Patient Portal
- Parents and students may also access KU's Online Bill Pay system. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You’ll need to know your current balance before making an online payment. Please refer to your most recent invoice or log into your patient portal for the current balance. Please note: Online payments are not processed by our office until the following business day.
- In person at the WHS Business Office
- By phone with a credit, debit, HSA or FSA card, by calling 785-864-9520
- Mail payments to the following address: KU Watkins Health Services, Attention: Business Office, 1200 Schwegler Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045-7538
- Major credit and debit cards - Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
- Most FSA and HSA card
- Checks, cash and money orders
Holds for non-payment (“NPY”) are applied by Student Accounts & Receivables to past due accounts. Holds are lifted once the balance is paid in full. A hold restricts a student from dropping, adding or registering for classes. Holds also prevent a student from ordering transcripts and receiving diplomas. The fastest way to have the hold removed is to pay the full balance directly to Student Accounts & Receivables. Payments can be made to Watkins Health Services, but the hold will not be lifted immediately. Refer to Student Accounts & Receivables for more information about payment options.
Watkins Health Services offers a Grace Period for recent graduates as well as students not currently enrolled in classes. You may continue to use Watkins Health Services for 90 days after your last date of enrollment. The Health Fee cannot be charged to patients that fall under the Grace Period category. Instead, these students will pay the Non Fees Paid Rate for services at WHS. Please contact the Business Office with questions or concerns regarding rates, billing and charges during your Grace Period.