Insurance Information

Insurance Card

Because the potential for financial hardship is so great in unexpected health-related situations, University of Kansas students are strongly encouraged to have health insurance. We recommend that you have a copy of your insurance card with you at all times. Upon your first visit to Watkins, we will ask for this information. If you do not have a card for your insurance, we recommend keeping a completed Insurance Information Form with you at all times. You may request a printable version of our Insurance Information Form by emailing our Business Office at

Filing to Insurance

WHS will file to most insurance policies, regardless of in-network or out-of-network status. We DO NOT accept Medicare, Medicaid plans or plans underwritten by health insurance companies based outside of the United States. In order to file claims, students must provide current and accurate insurance information, including the subscriber's name and date of birth. Because insurance plans vary greatly, you’ll need to contact your plan directly to see if your insurance will cover the costs of care at WHS. Understanding the basics of your insurance is key, but beyond that, just ask! First, ask your parents, then call your insurance company and remember to look at your insurance card. Every insurance plan is individualized. You will find the Customer Service phone number on your insurance card. For questions about using insurance at Watkins, call our Business Office at 785-864-9520.

Tips for Accessing Health Insurance

WHS In-Network Plans

WHS is currently in-network with these health insurance companies:

  • Aetna
  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Kansas (and national Blue card program)
  • Cigna
  • Coventry Healthcare of Kansas
  • Humana
  • UnitedHealthcare

Regarding HMO Plans

If your insurance is an HMO plan, your carrier may not consider WHS to be an in-network provider. HMO plans typically do not cover out-of-network services. Please be sure to contact your plan directly to verify coverage at WHS. Please note that WHS is not an in-network provider for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City HMO policies.

Regarding Tricare

While WHS is not an in-network/contracted Tricare provider, we are able to file claims with Tricare for chargeable services. Tricare may notify the patient and/or policyholder of their determination after receiving our claim. WHS does not accept Tricare write-offs and adjustments. Tricare offers a wide variety of healthcare plans and some of these plans issue payment and an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) directly to WHS, while others issue payment directly to the patient and/or policyholder. Please feel free to call our office at 785-864-9520 with questions about your specific Tricare policy and WHS billing.

Voluntary Student Health Insurance Plan

An excellent option is for KU students to consider purchasing a student insurance plan. The Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR), in cooperation with the public universities in Kansas, sponsors a voluntary health insurance plan designed specifically for students. UnitedHealthcare StudentResources is the carrier for this plan, which is fully compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The plan offers comprehensive benefits for a premium which may be considerably less than students may find in other commercial plans. For more information on the KBOR plan, or to enroll, please visit UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.

International Students and Mandatory Insurance

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all individuals in F-1, J-1 or J-2 status whose I-20 or DS-2019 is issued by the University of Kansas. UnitedHealthcare StudentResources insurance coverage is automatically included on all F-1 and J-1 students’ Student Account Services accounts when the student enrolls in classes.

The intent of these insurance requirements is for all international students to have excellent, continuous insurance coverage while studying at the University of Kansas. For more information, visit International Student Services or call 785-864-3617. If you have further questions, please contact the Insurance Coordinator by email at

Graduate Health Insurance

Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs), Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs) and Graduate Assistants (GAs) who meet eligibility requirements qualify for student insurance with a university (employer) contribution. For more information, visit Human Resources Management.

Students with Other Insurance

Depending on whether WHS is in-network or out-of-network with insurance carriers, benefit coverage may vary depending on the plan. It is essential for the policyholder to contact the insurance company to see how they will manage any claims received from WHS. The plans should also be reviewed for any ‘prior authorization’ or ‘referral’ requirements from the carrier. Provided with the appropriate information on an initial visit, WHS can file claims with insurance carriers, with the exception of Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Supplement Plans, KanCare, or other state programs because WHS is not a participating provider with these plans. Charges not covered by insurance plans are the student’s responsibility for payment.