The Pharmacy can fill any valid prescription written by a healthcare provider licensed to practice in the United States.
- KU Students
- KU Faculty and Staff
- KU Retirees
- Student Spouses/Domestic Partners. The student must accompany the spouse/domestic partner on the initial visit and fill out a Spouse/Domestic Partner Guarantor (PDF) form.
- Participants of KU Hosted Camps
How to Fill a Prescription
- Bring your prescription to the Pharmacy. Or, your provider may call in the prescription at 785-864-9512 or 785-864-9531, fax it to 785-812-0210, or send it electronically.
- Bring your insurance card if you have one.
- Pick up your prescription within six days after your order.
How to Refill a Prescription
To refill a prescription that was last filled at our Pharmacy and that has valid refills remaining, it is helpful to know the name of your medication or the prescription number (see package label).
- Call in your refill or
- Come to the Pharmacy to request a refill or
- Use secure messaging through the myWHS patient portal
If your prescription has run out of refills, we will contact your healthcare provider for instructions. You may need to schedule an appointment with a healthcare provider to renew the prescription. Students may schedule an appointment with a provider at Watkins Health Services for convenience.
Prescription refills may require one business day advance notice. Please note that Watkins Health Center hours may change due to holidays, semester breaks and the summer school session. This may affect the amount of time it takes to refill your prescription, so please plan refills accordingly.
Transferring Prescriptions to Watkins Pharmacy
Your pharmaceuticals from hometown providers can be transferred to our pharmacy. There are three options for you to accomplish this:
- Call our Pharmacy at 785-864-9531 and be prepared to provide the Name and Strength of the medication, the prescription number and the contact information for the other pharmacy.
- Or, complete the Pharmacy Prescription Transfer Form and bring it or fax it to our pharmacy.
- Or, you may come by the Pharmacy with the medication in its bottle or package and speak with one of our staff members.
Our staff will then call your hometown pharmacy to transfer your current prescriptions to us. Transferred prescriptions are usually ready in about one business day.
Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medication
The Pharmacy has a selection of many over-the-counter medications. A special order can also be placed for items not in stock. Condoms are available three for fifty cents plus tax.
- Cough, Cold and Flu
- Allergies and Sinus
- Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat, and Mouth Care
- Coffee, Food, and Drink
- First Aid
- Hair and Skin Care
- Foot Care
- Pain Relief and Management
- Condoms 3/50¢
- Stomach Relief
- Vitamins and Supplements
- Emergency Contraception
Cash, personal checks, Beak 'Em Bucks, and all major credit cards are accepted. Currently enrolled students may choose to have prescriptions and OTC medications billed to their health center account. Most insurance plans are accepted.
Insurance and Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs)
The pharmacy is contracted with many PBMs such as Medco, Express Scripts, Caremark, Cigna, Aetna, Humana and many others. Please provide your prescription plan ID card to a pharmacist staff member. The pharmacist may need to reference the BIN, Group and/or PCN numbers from your card to process your claim accurately.