Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses, and it can cause mild to severe illness. Each year, millions of people are sickened, hundreds of thousands are hospitalized, and thousands to tens of thousands of people die from flu.
The first and most important step in preventing flu is to get vaccinated each year. Flu shots are approved and recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for everyone six months and older. Getting vaccinated is particularly important for people who are at high risk of serious complications from flu such as infants and young children, people 65 years of age and older, pregnant women and people with certain health conditions or a weakened immune system.
Flu vaccination can reduce flu illnesses, doctors’ visits, and missed work and school due to flu, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations. Some people who get vaccinated might still get sick. However, people who get a flu vaccine are less likely to get sick with flu or hospitalized than someone who does not get vaccinated.
Watkins Health Services conveniently offers flu shots as follows:
- May be billed by Watkins or have their insurance billed for this service
- Can pay at time of service by cash, check or credit card (cost is $30.00).
- Make an appointment to receive a flu shot by calling 785-864-9507.
- Walk-in from 8 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday, and Noon – 3 pm on Saturday. Check in at the Records and Registration desk on the first floor. Hours may vary during breaks.
- If enrolled in State Employee Health Plans A and C flu shots are covered in full as a preventive service. Please bring your State of Kansas health insurance card with you.
- If not enrolled in the State Employee Health Plan, can pay at time of service by cash, check or credit card (cost is $30.00).
- Make an appointment to receive a flu shot by calling 785-864-9565.
- Walk-in from 8 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Check in at the Faculty/Staff Immediate Care Clinic on the second floor. Hours may vary during breaks.